Skip to content

Stale, stopped, void or lost cheques

Sometimes a cheque you've issued as a payment isn't presented to the bank by the payee. Whether the cheque is lost, stopped, or just plain stale – the way it's handled in AccountRight is to reverse it.

If needed, you can then reissue the payment.

Void cheques

If a cheque is damaged or you make a mistake when writing it, you can write VOID across the cheque and record a void cheque in AccountRight.

Reversing a stale cheque

A stale cheque is simply a payment recorded in your company file which won't be presented to the bank. Until an adjustment is made, your cheque account balance will be less than actual.

By reversing the original (stale) cheque transaction, you'll create an easy to follow audit trail of what's occurred.

If the cheque was recorded in a closed financial year, you'll need to roll back the year first.

There's 4 tasks to complete – and they're all really easy.

Reconciled cheques 

If you reverse a reconciled cheque, your bank reconciliation will be out of balance. If you want to reverse a reconciled cheque, you need to undo the bank reconciliation first, then reverse the cheque and re-reconcile the account.

Voiding a cheque

You can mark a cheque as VOID if you're not going to use that cheque, for example it's damaged or written incorrectly.

To keep AccountRight's cheque numbers synchronised with your actual cheque numbers, record a zero dollar spend money transaction.

Here's how: