We value your privacy
Protecting your privacy and keeping your personal information confidential is important to us. We're bound by the Privacy Act 1988, including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in the Act, when we handle your personal information.
In this Policy, we use the terms, "we", "us", "our" or "MYOB" to refer to MYOB Australia Pty Ltd and its related companies.
- What is personal information?
- The kinds of personal information we may collect from you
- How we collect your personal information
- How we use your personal information
- Accessing our websites and how we use de-identified information
- Holding your personal information and keeping it safe
- Your right to access and correct your personal information
- Questions, concerns and complaints
Personal information means information or an opinion that identifies you, or could reasonably identify you as an individual, whether the information or opinion is true or not.
2.1 We only collect personal information from you that is necessary to do business with you.
2.2 The personal information that we collect about you includes your name, postal and street address, email address, telephone number, gender, age, profession/role, place of work, information relating to the complaints you've made to us and various personal preferences. We also collect your payment information, such as your credit card or direct debit information and ABN, when you purchase a product or service from us. If you're a bank feeds user, we'll collect your account details so that you and your other authorised recipients can recieve transaction information from your nominated accounts.
2.3 Some personal information is considered 'sensitive information' under the Privacy Act. Sensitive information can include your membership of a professional or trade association (e.g. CPA status), which we might collect from you in certain situations. We'll only collect sensitive information about you if you give the information to us yourself, or otherwise consent to us having it.
3.1 We collect most personal information directly from you, through:
- making an order;
- registering a product;
- registering for a product trial;
- new client forms;
- company file activation;
- actions performed by you from within your product or application;
- transactional services and payment services;
- client support;
- inbound and outbound sales calls;
- our website, including the client self-service portal, my.MYOB;
- members of our authorised partner and certified consultant programs;
- competition entry forms;
- bookings for training and events;
- talent release forms and product testimonials;
- customer surveys;
- when you register for newsletters;
- job applications; or
- when you provide material to us to enable us to provide our services to you.
3.2 We may also collect personal information about you:
- from our third party joint initiative partners;
- that is publicly available from sources such as social media websites; and
- from third parties that provide us with marketing leads.
- fulfill orders and provide you with the products and services you've asked for;
- assist your authorised professional adviser (e.g your accountant or bookkeeper);
- perform product registration and company file activation, identify you as the product owner and to provide client support and service to you, your business partners and your employees;
- perform transactional services and payment services, including authorised financial transactions with you and your associated service providers;
- provide you with accounting and business management software and related services;
- keep you informed about our products and services and those of our relevant business and joint initiative partners;
- register and renew domain name(s) on your behalf;
- register a company with ASIC on your behalf;
- record your marketing and communication preferences;
- enable secure access to our websites;
- participate in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in us or our assets;
- process your transaction details for bank feeds;
- fulfil any legal and regulatory obligations; and
- process a job application that you've submitted.
- We may use your personal information to contact you about product upgrades and releases and to let you know about new services and special offers relevant to your business.
you don't want us to use your personal information for direct
marketing, you can let us know at any time through one of the
- to opt out
of email marketing:
- login to my.MYOB and update your communication preferences; or
- click the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of any of our marketing communications.
- to opt out of all other marketing communications, such as
direct mail or phone calls as well as emails:
- contact the MYOB Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- to opt out of email marketing:
- You need to provide us with your contact and payment details when your order our products and services.
- We use this information to fulfil your order and bill you. If we have trouble processing an order, we use the contact information you give us to contact you so that we can resolve the problem.
- We may provide your personal information to our related companies and to third party service providers that we outsource functions to. These service providers may help us with client contact, archiving, auditing, accounting, legal, business consulting, banking, delivery, data processing, automated communications, website or technology services. For some of our products and services, we also partner with government tax departments to file tax information on your behalf. Our third party providers are not allowed to use your personal information for any purpose other than helping us provide you with the service that you've asked for.
- Some of our third party providers may be located in the United States, Singapore, India, the Philippines, New Zealand or other countries.
- We'll also disclose your personal information if we are required by law or permitted by the Privacy Act to do so.
5.1 Our websites contain many useful services, and we’re constantly making changes and improvements to provide you with an even better website experience and to help make your business life easier.
5.2 Your personal information gives you authorised access to our websites so that you can update your personal information, access online help or perform financial transactions. For some products, you may be able to authorise other people (such as your employees, accountant or bookkeeper) to access, add and manage information on your behalf.
5.3 Our websites may contain links to third party websites, which don't belong to us and are beyond our control. Please note we're not responsible for and can't guarantee the privacy of these third party websites.
6.1 We typically hold the personal information that we collect either on electronic databases or as hard copy documents.
6.2 We have a range of security measures in place to protect the personal information that we hold. For example our web pages that request sensitive information may employ encryption technologies such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
6.3 You can confirm that a data-entry page uses encryption by checking that:
- the page address in the web browser's tool bar or status bar begins with https://; or
- the padlock icon in the web browser's tool bar or status bar is locked.
6.4 If you're considering sending us any personal information by standard email, please be aware that the information may be less secure in transit. We're required by law to take steps to protect the security of personal information once it comes into our possession.
6.5 If you're a registered user of any of our websites, you can control access to your account with a username and password of your choice. You should choose a strong password and keep it protected from others to prevent unauthorised access.
6.6 We're also committed to protecting your information offline. All of your personal and business information, not just personal information and sensitive information, is subject to access controls.
7.1 Subject to any exceptions in the Privacy Act, if you've provided us with personal information, you have a right to request to access or correct it. You can contact us with your request by using the contact details at the bottom of this Policy.
7.2 We'll respond to you as soon as we're reasonably able to. In some cases we might ask you to pay an administrative fee to cover costs associated with your request. To help us respond to you, please include as much detail as possible about the information that you want to access or correct and, if applicable, how you'd like to access the information.
7.3 We'll provide you with a copy of or details of your personal information wherever possible.
7.4 In some circumstances we might not be able to give you access to the personal information that you have requested, or we may refuse to correct your personal information. In either of these situations, we'll let you know the reasons for our decision in writing. If we don't allow you to access or correct your personal information, and you don't agree with our decision, you can make a complaint by following the process outlined in section 8.
8.1 If you want to make a complaint about a breach of your privacy by us, you can contact us using the contact details at the bottom of this Policy. All complaints will be investigated by an appropriately qualified MYOB representative. We'll try to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, and in any event within 30 days of hearing from you. If your complaint takes longer to resolve, we'll keep you informed of our progress with the investigation. We'll let you know the outcome of your investigation, including how we intend to resolve your complaint and what, if any, corrective measures will be put in place.
8.2 If you need further information about our privacy complaints process or the progress or outcome of any investigation, please contact the Privacy Officer using the contact details at the bottom of this Policy.
8.3 If you aren't satisfied with our handling or resolution of your complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner ("OAIC"). For more information please visit the OAIC website.
9.1 We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. Please check our website regularly for any updates to this Policy. You can also get a copy of the most current version of this Policy by either emailing or writing to the Privacy Officer using the contact details set out below.
9.2 By continuing to use our website and otherwise deal with us, you accept this Policy as it applies from time to time.
4.1 We use your personal information to:
4.2 Product promotion and how to opt out of direct marketing
4.3 Order fulfilment
4.4 Product registration
We ask you to register each product or service you purchase from us with relevant personal and business details. Registration will allow you to receive upgrades and special offers. You can opt-out from receiving special offers and marketing communications at any time, please see section 4.2 for more information on how to do this.
4.5 Company File Activation
If you purchase a product that uses company files, we ask you to activate each of the company files you create. During activation, we receive information by secure internet connection to identify your product (this includes your serial number and the unique code for that company file), and your business (your company name and ABN). We then provide you with a confirmation code to complete activation, via our website or by phone. The same process applies to periodic company file confirmations.
4.6 Transactional Services
If you apply for a transactional or payment service with us, we'll need to pass the information you give us to our service providers. See section 4.9 for more on our service providers.
4.7 Client support
When you register your product with us, your contact details will be linked to your product and product version. This means that when you call MYOB support, our support consultants are able to give you quality advice that is relevant to your particular situation. If we have to post or email you products or documentation, we'll have all the information we need to ensure you get fast, quality service.
4.8 Aggregated data
Aggregated data is data that is effectively anonymous - it doesn't contain any information specific to you or your business. We sometimes share aggregated data, such as statistical trends in a particular industry sector, with our business partners.
4.9 Disclosure to third parties
PO Box 371
Blackburn VIC 3130
For general sales, billing and product support enquiries please call 1300 793 130
Last updated: 21 August 2015