Skip to content

Provide information to your accountant

Once you've completed your year-end tasks, your accountant can start working on your books. How you get your information to your accountant depends on the software your accountant uses and whether you store your file online. So check with your accountant to work out the best solution.

Here are some options:

  • If you store your file online, you can invite your accountant to your books. They can keep working while they make their changes and you won't need to enter journals or make changes, they'll do this for you. Note that you're accountant doesn't need an AccountRight subscription to work on your books. Learn how to go online.

  • If your accountant uses AccountRight and you don't store your file online, you can make a backup copy of your file and send it to your accountant. Ask your accountant about the best way for you to do this. It might be as simple as copying the backup file to a USB stick and sending it to your accountant. They'll then send you details of the journal entries you'll need to manually enter.

  • If your accountant uses MYOB Accountants Office or MYOB AE MAS, you can export your accounts list, journal entries, sales and purchases directly to your accountant as a text file. This file can be sent by email or saved to disk. See below for details.

  • If your accountant doesn't use MYOB software and you don't store your file online, you can produce and send the reports they need, such as a balance sheet, trial balance and profit and loss statement. Your accountant will let you know which reports they want. To make it easy, save the reports as PDF files and email them (make sure you set the correct financial year in the report filters). You'll need to manually enter any changes or journal entries they send you.

Does your accountant use MYOB AE Accounts?

If your accountant has requested information in the MYOB AE Accounts (Ceedata) format, you can export the details by going to File menu > AccountantLink > MYOB AE Accounts.

To export to MYOB Accountants Office or MYOB AE MAS

  1. Go to the Accounts command centre and click:

    • Send to Accountant (Not Basics).

    • Send to MYOB Accountants Office (Basics).

    The Reporting Period window appears.

    Select the reporting period

  2. Select the month or range of months you want to export. To select a range of months, click and hold the mouse button on the first required month and then drag the cursor over the names of the remaining months.

    Choose the reporting months carefully

    It's important not to include dates you've included in a previous export because this would result in double-counting your transactions. As a precaution, we recommend that you tell your accountant the periods you've selected.

  3. Select the type of information to be provided from the Information required list.

    • Financial: The Receivables Reconciliation Exceptions, Payables Reconciliation Exceptions (Not Basics), and Bank Reconciliation reports are included in the file. If inventory or GST exceptions are found, the Inventory Value Reconciliation Exceptions (Not Basics), GST Amount Variance and GST Code Exceptions reports are also included. These reports are designed to alert your accountant to any irregularities in your company file and provide them with supplementary information to analyse your accounts.

    • BAS: Information required to complete your BAS is included in the file.

  4. At the top of the window, select the method you want to use to send the information.

    Email—If you want to email the file:

    1. Enter your accountant’s card in the Linked Card for Accountant field and then click Email. The Email window appears.

      An export file is automatically attached to the email (called _companyname._MYE). A .zip file of the reports is also attached.

    2. If you want, you can change the email address and edit the subject line.

    3. Click Send.

    Disk—If you want to save the file to disk:

    1. Click Disk. The Save As window appears.

      Enter a name and location for saving the export file. The default file name is companyname.MYE. You can change the file name if you want but you must retain the ‘.MYE’ extension. A .zip file of the reports is also saved.

    2. Click Save.