PAYE, one more time?
This week in 1999, Britney Spears had the number one song in NZ with "Baby One More Time?", four months after its release. Make sure you're on time with PAYE today.
- Lodge and pay December 2018 monthly business activity statement for business clients with up to $10 million turnover who report GST monthly and lodge electronically.
- Lodge and pay January 2019 monthly business activity statement.
No leaping this year
2019 isn't a leap year, so today is the last day of February. But that doesn't mean you can take it easy as there may be one or two things to do today.
- Lodge and pay quarter 2, 2018–19 activity statement for all lodgment methods.
- Annual GST return – lodge (and pay if applicable) if the taxpayer does not have a tax return lodgment obligation. If the taxpayer does have a tax return obligation, this return must be lodged by the due date of the tax return.
- Lodge and pay quarter 2, 2018–19 Superannuation guarantee charge statement - quarterly if the employer did not pay enough contributions on time.
Who needs to lodge their BAS? Everyone!
Today is actor Gary Oldman's birthday. To celebrate, be professional about lodging your monthly BAS so your business won't have any dark nights.
- Lodge and pay February 2019 monthly business activity statement.
The year is a quarter finished already!?
Time flies when you're having fun. Prepare your business for the next quarter of 2019 by lodging forms that are relevant to you.
- Lodge tax return for companies and super funds with total income of more than $2 million in the latest year lodged (excluding large/medium taxpayers), unless the return was due earlier. Payment for companies and super funds in this category is also due by this date.
- Lodge tax return for the head company of a consolidated group (excluding large/medium), with a member who had a total income in excess of $2 million in their latest year lodged, unless the return was due earlier. Payment for companies in this category is also due by this date.
Assemble your PAYG and BAS!
Before you run off and see Avengers: Endgame next week, make sure you lodge your relevant PAYG and monthly business activity statements. This might not protect your business from Thanos, but it will help with everything else.
- Lodge and pay quarter 3, 2018–19 PAYG instalment activity statement for head companies of consolidated groups.
- Lodge and pay March 2019 monthly business activity statement.
Quarterly activity statements all go hand-in-hand
24 years ago this week, British band Blur released their album Parklife. Make sure you lodge your relevant forms today so one day you can get up when you want, except on Wednesdays when you get rudely awakened by the dustman.
- Lodge and pay quarter 3, 2018–19 activity statement if lodging by paper.
- Pay quarter 3, 2018–19 instalment notice (form R, S or T). Lodge the notice only if you are varying the instalment amount.
- Make super guarantee contributions for quarter 3, 2018–19 to the funds by this date. Employers who do not pay minimum super contributions for quarter 3 by this date must pay the super guarantee charge and lodge a Superannuation guarantee charge statement – quarterly (NAT 9599) by 28 May 2019.
Long may you reign
Today, Japan's Emperor Akihito will step down. Due to Akihito's ill health, it will be the first voluntary imperial transition in over 200 years. Make sure your business career shares Akihito's longevity by submitting the correct forms to finish off the month.
- Lodge TFN report for closely held trusts if any beneficiary quoted their TFN to a trustee in quarter 3, 2018–19.
- Lodge lost members report for the period 1 July 2018 to 31 December 2018.
Be accountable, be aware
On this day in 2016, former US President Barack Obama gave a speech at Rutgers University to remind the graduating class that "Ignorance is not a virtue". That's good advice for anyone, especially if you're running a business. Lodge today's relevant forms so you'll be self-aware.
- Lodge 2018 tax returns for all entities
that did not have to lodge earlier (including all remaining
consolidated groups), and are not eligible for the 5 June 2019
concession. Due date for companies and super funds to pay if
Meesa lodge monthly BAS!
20 years ago this week, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was released in cinemas. Whether you love it or hate it, at least you can be sure that this will be a day long remembered (as long as you submit your BAS).
- Lodge and pay April 2019 monthly business activity statement.
- Final date to add new FBT clients to your client list to ensure they receive the lodgment and payment concessions for their fringe benefits tax returns.
Your business can be a perfect organism
Today in 1979, Ridley Scott's Alien opened in cinemas and scared audiences worldwide. If you lodge electronically, it's time for your quarterly BAS.
- Lodge and pay eligible quarter 3, 2018–19 activity statements if you lodge electronically.
Winter is coming
Dig out your jackets, light your fires and enjoy the cold mornings while you lodge the returns and statements that are relevant to you.
- Pay Fringe benefits tax annual return.
- Lodge and pay quarter 3, 2018–19 Superannuation guarantee charge statement - quarterly (NAT 9599) if the employer did not pay enough contributions on time.
An Australian landmark
This week in 1992, the High Court of Australia formally recognised that a group of Torres Strait Islanders, led by Eddie Mabo, held ownership of Mer (Murray Island). This landmark decision rendered 'Terra Nullius' a legal fiction and gave rise to native title legislation.
- Lodge tax return for all entities with a
lodgment due date of 15 May 2019 if the tax return is not required
earlier and both of the following criteria are met:
- non-taxable or a credit assessment in latest year lodged
- non–taxable or receiving a credit assessment in the current year.
- Lodge tax returns due for individuals and trusts with a lodgment due date of 15 May 2019 provided they also pay any liability due by this date.
First woman in space!
This week in 1963, Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova just finished her pioneering spaceflight to orbit the Earth 48 times. It would be another 19 years before another woman followed in her footsteps. You can break new ground by entering the atmosphere of the 2nd half of 2019 with your monthly BAS.
- Lodge and pay May 2019 monthly business activity statement.
2 + 2 does not equal 5
Today is George Orwell's birthday! Celebrate the life of 1984's author by making sure you don't become 'unperson' in business by lodging your FTB return if it's relevant to you.
- Lodge 2019 Fringe benefits tax annual return for tax agents if lodging electronically. Payment (if required) is due 28 May.
EOFY is here!
You made it, great job! Now it's time to get all your ducks in a row and make sure you're ready for the next 12 months.
- Pay super contributions so that you can to quality for a tax deduction in the 2018-19 year.
- Prepare for a
stocktake and ensure all transactions have been recorded.
- Make any (super) last minute purchases that can be tax deducted.
- Prepare your employee Payment Summaries as they need to be given to employees by 14 July.
- Download the AccountRight EOFY and EOPY guides to help you navigate the financial year.