Exo Tips & Tricks - Autumn 2019
Payday Filing is here – everything you need to know
The Payday Filing upgrade is now available to download. An email notification was recently sent by the MYOB Exo Employer Services which included the Release Notes for instructions on how to download this upgrade. You can also find the Release Notes here.
Exo Payroll is configured to automatically begin creating payday files for you, along with all other reporting and functionality you need.
How do I get support for Payday Filing after I have upgraded?
Exo Payroll Assistance: For any assistance with your upgrade, creating payday files, or general Exo Payroll functionality you have the following options.
- If you have a support plan contact our support team on 0800 69 62 39 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don’t have a support plan, or require assistance with the upgrade contact our Professional Services team on email@example.com
- Detailed release notes will be available in your new version of Exo Payroll, please read these carefully
- Our training team are running Online and Nationwide seminars to cover this topic, for details visit our website:
IRD and Upload Enquiries: For any assistance with uploading your files, or errors on upload please contact the IRD:
How does product registration work in Exo Employer Services software?
In each installation of MYOB Exo Employer Services software there are files that contain the relevant licencing information so that the software can function appropriately.
For How to Register FAQ's see this website.
The software needs to be re-registered (re-licenced) each year. This process occurs automatically.
If the attempt to register the system automatically fails, the system will try again weekly. If the system has still not been registered fourteen days before the licence is due to expire, automatic registration will then be attempted every two days.
In Demonstration Mode the system will allow one month of trial use before requiring registration. Once you have contacted your MYOB Account Manager or local MYOB Distributor to arrange purchase of the software, you will be incorporated into our MYOB Customer Database and provided with your unique registration file.
Please keep this file safe, as it is used for reapplying the registration should you decide to reinstall the software.
To check your registration status, select Registration from the Company Selection window. You will see the currently installed modules, and the registration status for each.
Company Contact Details
This section displays contact information for your company. Before you send registration information to MYOB please update your contact details if they have changed, so that we can stay on touch with you. The contact person is particularly important to us, as it is the most likely to change.
The Products grid displays all products installed including those the client is licensed to use, along with their installation dates, licence expiry dates, licence limits and registration statuses. The Type column displays the current registration status:
- DEMO – a demonstration site
- NEW – a new client that has recently purchased the software
- LIVE – shows products the client is licensed to use
You can select a product and click the History button to show historical registration information for that product, including the number of employees at each pay frequency and details of each pay recorded during the licensing period.
Thirty days before a site's licence is due to expire (the expiry date), the system will automatically attempt to retrieve registration details via the Internet when a user first logs in. (This is the same process that occurs when a user clicks the Register Online button on the registration window.)
If the attempt is successful, i.e. if your Annual Licence Fee has been paid and processed by MYOB, a message will be displayed to the user and no further action required.
If the attempt fails, an error message will appear. For example, if the Annual Licence Fee is unpaid, you will be asked to ensure payment has been made, and the system will continue to check on subsequent days and automatically register the software.
In other cases, when the error message appears a copy of the registration report will be automatically emailed to MYOB. MYOB will follow up with you via phone or email to complete the registration process.
Note: Your network must allow traffic on port 587 for the system to be able to send the registration report via email. This relates to security settings on your network and requires the Company IT support to check or assist with any issues.
To register manually you will have received registration codes or files. Refer to the following for each scenario:
Entering the new Registration codes into MYOB Exo Employer Services software
Once you've received the new registration codes for each product, enter them manually for each module:
NOTE: Ensure all details are entered as per the email including Year and Users/Staff numbers
- From the Products grid, click on the product that you want to register.
- Click the Register button, which will open the Registration Details window:
- If this is the first time you are registering the product, change the Type from NEW to LIVE. If the Type is already set to LIVE, leave it as it is.
- The renewal year, number of staff and number of users should match the information sent by MYOB.
- Enter the Registration Code that MYOB sent to you.
- Click Save or press F10.
Your system will now be registered for one year's use, commencing from your install date.
Copying the new Registration files into MYOB Exo Employer Services software
If registration files are received, follow the instructions below for putting the files into the software.
- Determine the location where the software has been installed. To do this, open the software then login to a company. Click on the 'Help' menu then select 'About'. On the 'About' screen check the 'Installed In' information. This is the location where the software is installed and where the registration files will need to be saved to.
- Exit out of the MYOB Employer Services software and ensure there are no other users still logged into the software
- Save the registration files that have been received into the location determined in step 1.
- If prompted to overwrite any files do so as the new files need to replace the existing files.
Once you have completed these steps, restart your software to confirm and activate these changes.
How to terminate a casual employee
How to terminate a casual employee in MYOB Exo Employer Services New Zealand software.
Normally when an employee is being terminated they are paid any outstanding items in their final pay such as wages for that final period, allowances, outstanding leave such as alternative leave etc. then the Termination Holiday Pay is calculated and when the pay is updated the employee is terminated.
If an employee is setup as a Casual with the "Pay Casual Holiday Pay Each Pay" option ticked, they cannot be terminated via the normal process as the Holiday Pay screen in a pay is greyed out including the "Pay Termination Holiday Pay" tickbox.
To terminate a Casual employee, this must be done manually via File > Terminate/Reinstate, find the employee to be terminated and enter an appropriate Termination date. Click Terminate and a confirmation screen will appear then click Yes and the employee will be terminated.
Note: It is advised to do this manual Termination process once the employee's final pay has been closed or else they will be removed from the open pay.
Loading Year to Date information for the Financial Year for an employee
This article deals with the loading of Year to Date information for the financial year.
There will be times when you may need to load an employee's pay information for the current financial year (from 1/4 to 31/3) i.e. their Gross Earnings, PAYE and Student Loan earned since 1 April. This may be due to moving between Divisions within the company or changing the payroll software being used.
This Year to Date Financial Year information will ensure that the employee's pay information for that financial year appears correctly in reports such as Payslips and Certificate of Earnings.
Please note, if you wish to load YTD totals for Employer and Employee KiwiSaver and ESCT for the current tax year, you can process this through a zero balance one off pay. These figures will show on the Certificate of earnings and the payslip.
How to load Year to Date Totals for Pay and Taxation History.
To enter the totals for each employee for their Year to Date Financial Year Loading, follow the steps below. The figures to be entered should have been gathered from your previous payroll software or the previous EXO Payroll payroll company the employee was in.
Login to the payroll company that the employee(s) have been put in.
1. Go to the Utilities menu
2. Select "Load YTD Totals" from the list
3. In the screen that appears select the employee(s) from the Available list and move them to the Selected list then change the 'Load YTD Information for' field to 'Pay and Taxation History'.
4. Click Next: F8
5. The Load YTD Information screen will appear (see below).
- Pay Date - enter the Pay Period date of the last pay processed for the employee in the old payroll software (or previous payroll company). If you are doing the Year To Date loading during the current month then the Pay Date being entered should be from the previous month. This is so that the Year To Date loading figures do not affect the IRD returns for the current month.
- Gross - Enter the total amount of earnings liable for PAYE that the employee has earned since 1 April.
- PAYE - Enter the total amount of PAYE that has been deducted (inclusive of Student Loan)
- Student Loan - Enter the amount of Student Loan.
6. Click Next: F8 to proceed
7. Before finalising the Year To Date Loading import into EXO Payroll, print the YTD Loading report. Check this report then, so long as you are happy with the information shown, click Finish. The payroll will make a backup before importing the information into the pay history.