Sore throat. Headache. Exhaustion. A business to run.
It’s an all too familiar tale in winter and right now, I’m like many other small business owners – struggling to keep on top of things while grappling illness.
When you own your own business, it’s not often as simple as taking a few days off to rest and recuperate – especially if your team is also hit by symptoms.
How do you get through it? Here are my tips:
- Reprioritise – do a very quick assessment of your To Do list. Identify anything urgent or unchangeable (In my case, running an event in another city).
- Delegate or if you have no team, ask someone for help – family, friends or even consider getting a temp.
- Seek medical advice if need be.
- Drink lots of (non-alcoholic) fluids.
- Rest. This one is really important.
- Do snippits of work if you really have to. Laptop in the bedroom next to lemon and honey drink? Not a problem – these days no one need know where you are working from.
As you recover, continue reprioritising and getting adequate rest. If you are really clever, continue doing both – you may just discover more of a work life balance…
Do you have any tips to add?